slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Ashley
22 || KUL

Travel & beauty enthusiast. I live for hojicha lattes, mountain views, the aching pain after a good weightlifting day, warm hugs and brunch on Sundays.

"give everything but up"

Connect With Me

social media icons 2

Search

Klook

Klook.com

category 1

Travel

category 2

Beauty

category 3

Food

My 10-Step Korean Skincare Routine


When it comes to achieving a healthy and radiant skin, there's nothing I trust more than Korean skincare. K-beauty is taking over the global beauty market and everyone's heard of the 10-step Korean skincare routine, which is the key to Korean women's glowing skin. I know it sounds daunting but this doesn't mean you have to do all 10 steps! Skincare is very personal so there's no fixed routine you need to follow. Instead, you should focus on which steps work for your skin depending on its concerns. Here's how you should layer your skincare products according to the Korean skincare routine and what I use for each step:

ONE Oil Cleanser

An oil cleanser removes makeup, sunscreen and impurities as the oil will dissolve any oil-based products and sebum on your skin. Gently massage the cleanser on your skin, adding a splash of lukewarm water in between to emulsify it, and then rinse it off. I realised that ever since I converted from makeup removers to oil cleansers, my face towel had stopped getting streaks of mascara and foundation stains after cleansing! I use Heimish All Clean Balm which I've previously mentioned in my K-Beauty haul post. It's melts my makeup super effectively, not leaving any trace of it.

Shop other cleansing balms:



TWO Water-Based Cleanser


I think this is the most basic step in any skincare regimen. A water-based cleanser removes any lingering residue and impurities, leaving the skin a clean slate to work with for the rest of the routine. I'm using Kiehl's Calendula Deep Cleansing Foaming Wash and I love how it effectively washes away the dirt and oil on my face without stripping the skin.




Shop other cleansers:




THREE Exfoliator

You don't have to exfoliate everyday. 2-3 times a week would be enough for a polished and brighter skin (once a week for sensitive skin). It's an important step as it not only cleans out your pores that are congested with sebum and dirt, but also sloughs off your dead skin cells to allow your other skincare products to work with your skin more effectively. I use three different exfoliators depending on how my skin condition is.

Laura Mercier Flawless Skin Face Polish: This is a scrub containing fine microbeads to remove dead skin cells. Love the smell and it leaves my skin soft and smooth. I use it on normal days when my skin doesn't seem too dull or rough.


Skin Food Black Sugar Mask: I've talked about this in my K-beauty haul post previously. I use this when my skin seems dull and it feels like it has a billion layers of dead skin cells as the sugar can be quite rough for the skin.

Neogen Bio-Peel Gauze Peeling Wine: These are exfoliating wipes which have two sides, a rough side for scrubbing the face, and a smooth side to wipe off the dirt. I use them on lazy days!

Shop my exfoliators:

FOUR Toner

Toners were traditionally used as astringents to clean and minimise pores but as skincare technology evolves, toners are more often made to balance the skin's pH level and soften the skin to prepare it for the next step. There are many different types of toners in the market for different skin types and needs. I use Etude House Wonder Pore Freshner which has many benefits for the skin including cleaning and minimising pores, balancing skin's pH level, controlling sebum and hydrating the skin.

Shop other toners:

FIVE Essence

This step is said to be the most essential step in the Korean skincare routine. It hydrates the skin, aids in skin repair and speeds up cell turnover. Essences help to keep the skin healthy, radiant and glowing! It's pretty similar to a serum or ampoule but has a more watery consistency and is less concentrated. I use Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence which I bought from Korea last December. It helps to brighten my skin and give me a healthier looking skin!

Shop other essences:


SIX Serum & Ampoule

Serums and ampoules are concentrated treatments that focus on specific skin concerns such as fine lines, hyper-pigmentation, dull skin or acne. It's not necessary to add this to your skincare regimen if you don't have any specific problems with your skin that you want to treat. I'm currently still on a hunt for the right serum for myself so I'm not using any yet.

Shop for trending serums and ampoules:




SEVEN Sheet Mask

There are so many different types of sheet masks in the market for different purposes so you can choose what kind of mask to use depending on your skin condition. It allows your skin to absorb all the ingredients effectively while you leave it on your face for 15-30 minutes as it avoids evaporation. There are no specific sheet masks that I use all the time but some of my favourites are Missha Embro Gel Mask, Missha Pure Source Cell Sheet Mask (Green Tea & Tea Tree) and Skinfood Beauty In A Food Mask (Snail & Aloe). These masks are so hydrating and they help to soothe my skin. The serums in them get absorbed into the skin fully without leaving my face feeling sticky!



















Shop other sheet masks:

EIGHT Eye Cream

Step 8 is where you apply products specifically for your eye area. The skin around eye area is the most thin and delicate part so it has different needs and concerns. Choose an eye cream that targets on your problems such as fine lines, dark circles or dry skin. I use La Mer Lifting Eye Serum to lift and rejuvenate my eye area.

Shop the eye serum:


NINE Moisturiser

It's important to apply moisturiser to your skin to seal in all the beneficial ingredients you've just applied and provide your skin with hydration. They come in different forms  -lotion, gel, cream and many more- so find one that works for your skin type. You can also swap your regular moisturiser for a sleeping pack when your skin feels dehydrated or extra dry. I use Innisfree Green Tea Fresh Cream  which is for oily skin type and I like how it doesn't make my face feel sticky or greasy! For days when my skin feels extra dry, I apply Too Cool For School Pumpkin Sleeping Pack before I go to sleep to give my skin that extra boost of hydration. 
 Shop other moisturisers:


TEN Sun Protection

Last but not least, SPF. This step only applies to your morning skincare routine since you won't be needing any protection from the sun at night. It's so important to apply sunscreen even if you're only stepping outside for a while because the harsh UV rays can be harmful to both your skin's beauty and health. I use Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence which I bought from Hermo Malaysia and it has a sun protection of SPF 50/PA++++. It has a non-sticky and watery texture and it doesn't leave a white cast or strong smell. 



Shop other sunscreens:



Comments

Popular Posts

The Barn @ Mid Valley
If you're looking for a wine and dine place in Kuala Lumpur to hangout with your friends and f…
Vietnam 9D8N Itinerary: Part One - Hoi An, Da Nang
The first thing people tend to say when I said I went to Vietnam for 9 days was "Why did you …
Eat All You Can at Pak John Steamboat & BBQ - Review
Who doesn't love eat-all-you-can buffets? If you're staying near Putrajaya area, you can t…
Glamfox Fluerissant Lip Glow & Fluerissant Lip Gloss Review
Having pale and dry lips at the same time is the worst because I want to put on my favourite lip c…